Mary Meeker gave a great presentation at the Conversational Marketing in Real-Time Summit in New York this week. The presentation focused on Internet trends and featured insights into mobile, e-commerce, cloud computing, online advertising and the future of communication.
Some key points from her presentation:
- The iPad is one of the fastest-selling gadgets of all time: Apple sold 1 million iPads in 28 days (and is expected to sell 5 million by the end of 2010), by contrast the original iPhone took 74 days to sell 1 million devices in 2007.
- Google’s Android Mobile OS is catching up: Android smartphone shipments now almost equal iPhone shipments. (Apple’s app leverage may disappear fast)
- Global 3G wireless penetration has hit 20% in2010: which is usually the inflection point to very rapid growth according to economists.
- Mobile app and search use skyrocketing: the new iPad, iPhone and Android smartphones is leading to a surge in people using apps and searching on mobile platforms, both of which have doubled since 2009. People are increasingly using mobile platforms like the iPad in a similar way as they previously used their desktop computers.
- Japan demonstrates the huge potential for mobile advertising: Japan mobile ad spending now $11 per user, up from $1 per user in 2004.